Toronto Skyline

Toronto Skyline
My new home!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Canada Day! & Wimbledon Update #8


"Canada Day" Treat!!!

Happy Canada Day!! As an American, I am used to July 4th (our Independence Day) but this year I am able to celebrate Canada Day since moving to Canada. I didn't know much about the history of Canada Day, so I wanted to do a quick Wiki search and find some interesting facts.  What did I learn? I learned that Canada Day, "marks the joining of the British North American colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the Province of Canada into a federation of four provinces (the Province of Canada being divided, in the process, into Ontario and Quebec) on July 1, 1867. Canada became a kingdom in its own right on that date, but the British Parliament kept limited rights of political control over the new country that were shed by stages over the years until the last vestiges were surrendered in 1982 when the Constitution Act patriated the Canadian constitution”. Now that I know some history about Canada Day- what are some things that I will need with me to celebrate?

Since there are many parades and gatherings in Canada today, I definitely need a Canadian flag. But where did this flag come from? According to About.com (Canada),  “It wasn't until the 1965 inauguration of the maple leaf flag that Canada had its own national flag. In the early days of Canadian Confederation the Royal Union flag, or Union Jack, was still flown in British North America".

So, what else do I need to learn today? How about the lyrics to O’Canada?! Now that I can recite the song you can bet that there will be BBQ’s tonight, gathering of friends/family, and fireworks! I can't wait to sit by the bonfire on the beach, make s'mores and watch the fireworks tonight!




Today there is also excitement over Prince William and Kate’s visit to Canada! All over the news they are following the royal visitors in Ottawa as they celebrate Canada Day. Prince William is expecting to speak today and there are thousands waiting on Parliament Hill. Watching the news- they both look stunning with their red and white fashion (and I just love Kate’s red maple leaf hat)! Now, its time for me to head to the beach and wish you a Happy Canada Day!



Wimbledon Update #8

Djokovic won in 4 sets against Tsonga 7-6, 6-2, (7-6), 6-3. I was hoping that Tsonga could at least bring it to 5 sets but I am happy to see Djokovic get in the final and now have the #1 ranking in the world. Later today Nadal will play Murray- and I bet that match will be one you do not want to miss! 


Image Source: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/photos/2011-06-29/201106291309360799492.html , http://ca.eonline.com/uberblog/b250299_kate_middleton_prince_william_kick_off.html

No comments:

Post a Comment