Toronto Skyline

Toronto Skyline
My new home!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!


Happy Birthday America!

Today is one of my absolute favorite holidays in the US- it’s the 4th of July! Even though I am missing it on US soil this year- I still will have a celebration at home in Canada! For any one reading this blog today (that may not be familiar with the 4th of July) this is a celebration that dates from 1776 when the US gained our independence from Britain and where Democracy was born. Today is a great day for friends and family to gather, watch parades, BBQ and watch firework displays around our nation. Friends, food and fireworks- it's a great day all around!!

I think it is quite fitting today that I link to the words to our National Anthem (The Star Spangled Banner) and our Pledge of Allegiance too. If you don't know them- today is a day that you should look them up!

How about this- do you know what the American flag stands for? Referencing the USA Flag Site, “today the flag consists of thirteen horizontal stripes, seven red alternating with 6 white. The stripes represent the original 13 colonies; the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag are symbolic as well: Red symbolizes Hardiness and Valor, White symbolizes Purity and Innocence and Blue represents Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice”.

Even though I am in Canada now (and I just celebrated Canada Day), I surely have my friends and family on my mind for this great American holiday! I love fireworks so I’m hoping that they see some great shows tonight!


Image Source: http://www.google.ca/search?q=July+4th&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=q7n&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivnsu&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=7vsRTpezCsu20AHC0oGJDg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCAQ_AUoAQ&biw=1235&bih=701

No comments:

Post a Comment