Toronto Skyline

Toronto Skyline
My new home!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Love of the Mixtape




"Gorilla vs. Bear" Treat!

I love listening to and putting together playlists for things such as long car rides, parties, songs for summer, etc. If you are a fan of the good ol’ Mixtape then you must check out Gorilla vs. Bear. The Mixtapes that are put together always introduce me to new and exciting music that I tend to love instantly.

Last night was Halloween- and the 2011 Halloween Mix did not disappoint! Gorilla vs. Bear put together a plethora of artists like Birdlips, Grouper, Nicolas Jaar, Sun Araw, Massive Attack vs. Burial, Chromatics, and Grimes. Far from the tunes of Monster Mash!

For a background of Gorilla vs. Bear I wanted to quote directly from their website. “Gorilla vs. Bear is a Texas-based music blog. Once called “the New Yorker of hipster blogs,” who blog about relevant artists of the day, with no particular genre-specific focus. Newsweek thinks they’re “influential.”

In 2008, Gorilla vs. Bear was recognized by Rolling Stone as one of the web’s “Best Music Blogs” in the publication’s annual Best of Rock issue. GvsB was also voted “Blog of the Year” in URB Magazine’s annual readers poll, beating out such luminaries as Kanye West and the Huffington Post. In 2009, GvsB was named one of the “25 Best Music Websites” by The Independent UK, alongside famous weblogs eMusic, the Hype Machine, Pitchfork, and Kanye West.

One of my all-time favorite mixes was the mp3: SUMMER-ISH mix. This featured two artists who I fell in love with instantly called Panda Bear and Peaking Lights. Because of these wonderful mixes put together by Gorilla vs. Bear, I always find new and unique music that always reach my “Most Played” section in my iTunes. Big ups to Gorilla vs. Bear- keep doing what you do best!


No comments:

Post a Comment