Toronto Skyline

Toronto Skyline
My new home!

Monday, December 5, 2011

The Tea Party in T.O!



"Surprise" Treat!

I had the best surprise this past weekend- I was taken to the Sound Academy in Toronto to see The Tea Party live in concert! This Canadian band from Windsor, Ontario was formed in 1990 with members Jeff Martin, Stuart Chatwood and Jeff Burrows. I heard about this band while visiting Canada 3 years ago and fell in love with songs such as,  ‘Save Me’, ‘The Messenger’ and ‘The Bazaar’. I loved the fact that they have such a unique sound and use a mix of blues, rock, Indian and Middle Eastern influences. Using instruments such as sitars, esraj, mandolins, goblet drums (Dumbek) and 12 string guitars is right up my ally. To my dismay I learned that the band was on a hiatus since 1995 and was saddened to think I would never see them live in concert. Well, it’s official- they are back and ready to start recording new music this next year and on tour now!

I knew I was in for a treat as I entered the Sound Academy and I heard a mix of drumming and sitars playing throughout the venue. I literally walked into a crowd of people anxiously waiting for, The Tea Party, and chanting for them to come on stage. I was able to chat with some people around me and they were devoted fans that could name every mile they traveled to see this band play throughout Canada. Once the band got on stage, Jeff Martin, was eager to engage with the crowd and let everyone know that they are back and appreciate everyone coming out to see them this night. (He even joked that they are still astonished at the success from their humble beginnings from Windsor, Ontario).

They played crowd favorites (even my favorite songs listed above) and included an acoustic set. They even played some new music (not yet released) to much delight of all their fans. Overall, it was one of the best nights I’ve had seeing live music. I look forward to their return to Toronto! For this American girl, The Tea Party, is one band that I’m so happy Canada introduced me to!

Pics!

 Jeff Martin: (From The Tea Party's official FB page)


The Tea Party @ Sound Academy in T.O: (Photo by: Troy Danniels)


Ok- ready to go in!



Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tea_Party, http://teaparty.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment