Toronto Skyline

Toronto Skyline
My new home!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Family Skate on Winter Classic Ice

2012 Winter Classic- Family Skate at Citizens Bank Park
Family Skate on Winter Classic Ice

Happy 2012!! 

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and great start to 2012! The year ended with great memories as I traveled back to the US to see family and friends for Christmas and spent the New Year in Philadelphia! A highlight to start off this New Year is the fact that the 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic was held Monday, January 2, 2012 at Citizen Bank Park in Philadelphia! It was the first time the Winter Classic was not played on New Year’s Day but for anyone in Philadelphia who follow the mummers that may not have worked out so well anyway! I will write all about the game tomorrow but today I want to highlight the fact I was able to be on the Winter Classic ice at the leagues family skate the night before the game! It was amazing!

Upon arrival at Citizens Bank Park there was a flurry of excitement as the final preparations were being made for the 2012 NHL Winter Classic Game Flyers vs. Rangers. Signs were being raised, seats were getting their warmers, camera crews were getting their angles on the jumbo screen and sound checks were being called. When I got down to the ice it was filled with Rangers players and their families- and the atmosphere was overflowing with laughter and playfulness.

As we got underneath Citizens Bank Park I was able to scope out the locker rooms for the Flyers and my excitement grew. I couldn't get my skates on fast enough! Stepping onto the Winter Classic ice was such a memorable experience and so much fun! The weather was crisp, the ice was solid and I was able to meet the refs and linesmen scheduled to be in the game (and their families). The HBO Crew was wrapping up for the night and we were engulfed with the singing of the national anthem by Lauren Hart. We even got to hear sound check from ‘The Roots’! I’m a huge Roots and drummer ?uestlove fan! After the skate I was able to say a quick hello to ?uestlove too! Seriously what an amazing night! 

 Enjoy some of the pics below! :)

 Rangers Players Family Skate


 Brett and I at the family skate! 


 Great view from the ice!


 Winter Classic Ice (night before the game)


 Flyers Bench


The Roots!


 ?uestlove from The Roots!





Image Source: Rob Carr/ Getty Images, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1008339-2012-nhl-winter-classic-5-reasons-citizens-bank-park-has-been-the-best-venue

No comments:

Post a Comment